Ambato, Ecuador’s charming city nestled in the heart of the Andes Mountains! Known as the “City of Flowers and Fruits,” Ambato is a vibrant destination offering a rich cultural heritage, breathtaking landscapes, and a plethora of activities to indulge in. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, a history buff, or simply seeking an authentic Ecuadorian experience, Ambato has something for everyone.
Ambato boasts a moderate climate year-round, making it an ideal place to explore anytime. The city is renowned for its vibrant festivals, the most famous being the “Fiesta de las Flores y las Frutas” (Festival of Flowers and Fruits), celebrated in February. During this time, the streets come alive with vibrant parades, music, dance, and beautifully adorned floats showcasing the region’s agricultural bounty.
What to do in Ambato
Here are some of the things you can do in Ambato:
- Visit the Catedral de Ambato, a beautiful cathedral built in the 19th century.
- Explore the Parque Cevallos, a popular park spot for locals and tourists alike.
- Walk through Mercado Central, a bustling market where fresh fruits, vegetables, and other local produce can be bought.
- Visit the Casa del Portal, a colonial-era house that is now a museum.
- Go hiking or biking in the nearby mountains.
- Visit the nearby town of Baños, known for its hot springs and waterfalls.
Tips for your visit
Here are some tips for your trip to Ambato:
- The best time to visit Ambato is during the dry season, which runs from June to September.
- The city is located at an altitude of 2,500 meters (8,200 feet), so be sure to pack warm clothes.
- Ambato is a relatively safe city, but it is always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and take precautions against petty theft.
- There are a variety of hotels and restaurants to choose from in Ambato.
- The city is well-connected by bus and train to other parts of Ecuador.