Tulcan is a city in the northernmost province of Ecuador, Carchi. It is located on the border with Colombia and is a major commercial center for the region. Tulcan is also a popular tourist destination due to its proximity to the Colombian Amazon rainforest and its rich history and culture.
The city of Tulcan is home to a number of historical and cultural attractions, including the San Sebastián Cathedral, the Casa de la Cultura, and the Museo del Banco Central del Ecuador. Tulcan is also home to several parks and gardens, including the Parque de la Familia and the Parque Infantil.
In addition to its historical and cultural attractions, Tulcan is also a great place to enjoy the outdoors. Mountains and forests surround the city, and there are a number of hiking and biking trails in the area. Tulcan is also a popular destination for white-water rafting and kayaking.
What to do in Tulcan
Here are some of the top things to do in Tulcan:
- Visit the San Sebastián Cathedral: The San Sebastián Cathedral is the largest cathedral in the province of Carchi. It is a beautiful example of colonial architecture.
- Visit the Casa de la Cultura: The Casa de la Cultura is a museum and cultural center that houses various exhibits on the history and culture of Tulcan.
- Visit the Museo del Banco Central del Ecuador: The Museo del Banco Central del Ecuador is a museum that houses a collection of artifacts from the pre-Columbian era.
- Take a walk in the Parque de la Familia: The Parque de la Familia is a large park that is a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
- Visit the Parque Infantil: The Parque Infantil is a children’s park that is an excellent place for families to have fun.
- Go hiking or biking in the mountains: There are several hiking and biking trails in the mountains surrounding Tulcan.
- Go white-water rafting or kayaking: Tulcan is a popular destination for white-water rafting and kayaking.
Tips for your visit
Here are some tips for visiting Tulcan:
- The best time to visit Tulcan is during the dry season, which runs from December to May.
- The average temperature in Tulcan is 22 degrees Celsius (72 degrees Fahrenheit).
- The currency in Ecuador is the US dollar.
- English is not widely spoken in Tulcan, so it is helpful to learn some basic Spanish phrases before your trip.
- Be sure to try the local cuisine, which includes cuy (guinea pig), hornado (roasted pork), and llapingachos (fried potato cakes).
- Tulcan is a safe city, but it is always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and take precautions against petty theft.
Tulcan is a beautiful and vibrant city that has something to offer everyone. With its rich history and culture, stunning natural beauty, and friendly people, Tulcan is the perfect place to relax and enjoy your vacation.
To learn more about Tulcan, follow the link.